|Published||September 11, 2023|
Darden is hiring research assistants for the academic year who will report directly to Darden faculty. Work may include locating and summarizing existing academic literature and policies, constructing data sets based on information collected online, statistical coding, and writing summaries of faculty research for business practitioners. Potential topics include cybercurrency, the economy, leadership characteristics, entrepreneurship, and other topics relevant to faculty research initiatives.
- Locate and summarize academic literature on a variety of topics
- Create data sets by researching publicly available information on companies or cities
- Qualitative coding of textual or visual data
- Summarize and contextualize Darden faculty research for business practitioners
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read through multiple reports, mine public databases, and distill information into a database (excel spreadsheet or other formats)
- Familiarity with big datasets
- Experience with Python, Java, SQL, and/or Solidity
- Very strong written and verbal communication
- Strong synthesis skills (reading and summarizing arguments)
- Strong attention to detail
- Able to work independently while balancing multiple projects
- Willing to attack a problem from different angles when the first approach does not work
Undergraduate and graduate students are encouraged to apply. Position is open to students in business, accounting, economics, social sciences, humanities, statistics, math, computer science or other disciplines with strong writing skills.
Hourly pay rate depends on level of education. Students pursing a:
- 4-year degree: $13.00-$15.00/hour (depending on experience)
- MA Degree: $18.00/hour
- Ph.D. Degree: $23.00/hour
Positions offer 8-20 hours/week and begin 8/28/23.
Position is remote, but student must physically reside in the United States.
Please submit a resume and cover letter.
Experience with Python, Java, SQL, and/or Solidity
Education: Current UVA student
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require traveling some distance to attend meetings, and programs.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician's Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.