|Published||September 10, 2023|
|Location||El Segundo, CA|
Nexon America is a branch of Nexon Co., Ltd., a global video game publisher and leading developer of online virtual worlds for PCs, consoles, and mobile devices. Nexon proudly offers celebrated franchises like MapleStory, KartRider, and Mabinogi that have been enjoyed by millions of players for over two decades. When we founded our Nexon America branch in 2006, we made it our goal to bring those unique games to western players using a player-first approach. We achieve that goal by applying our team’s outstanding free-to-play expertise and live game support to every decision, every day.
But we’re committed to more than our games! Here at Nexon America, we’re all about open communication, diversity, mutual respect, and collaboration, so we can bring out the best in each other. Nexies find support, friendship, and career growth all in one place! And because we know a healthy work-life balance is the key to happiness, Nexies also enjoy flexible hours, a hybrid work model, and extra perks like food trucks, happy hours, and team events. It’s why we’ve earned the Great Place to Work certification for 3 years running!
We’re looking to expand our team with passionate individuals who want to learn, play, and grow with us. Ready for a new challenge?
Summary of Position
In this role, you will lead research and development efforts to explore the integration of Web3 technologies into online gaming platforms. You will collaborate with cross-functional teams to research and design cutting-edge decentralized applications (dApps), smart contracts, and NFTs that enhance player experiences and promote virtual asset ownership.
We are currently working in the office 2-3x a week in a hybrid work model.
Conduct in-depth research on Web3 technologies, decentralized protocols, and emerging blockchain platforms
Lead the design and architecture of innovative decentralized applications (dApps) and smart contracts with a focus on online gaming
Collaborate with product managers and blockchain engineers to define technical requirements based on research findings
Prototype and develop proof-of-concept implementations to validate the viability of proposed Web3 solutions
Stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in Web3 technologies and gaming trends to drive continuous innovation
Offer guidance and support to game studios, providing them with best practices for onboarding their product onto a blockchain platform
Assist in troubleshooting and resolving technical issues related to blockchain interactions and smart contract execution
Contribute to the development of best practices and coding standards for Web3 technologies
Share research findings with external partners and contribute to the broader Web3 ecosystem
Identify and propose innovative solutions to enhance online gaming experiences through Web3 technologies
Provide technical guidance and mentorship to junior team members
• 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer, with a focus on Web3 technologies and blockchain development
• Experience with Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM) and Ethereum Improvement Proposals (EIPs) is required
• Prior experience working in the online game publishing industry, with a strong understanding of player behavior is preferred
• Prior experience in developing and deploying blockchain-based games or gamified decentralized applications (dApps) on various blockchain platforms is preferred
• Previous experience in contributing to or maintaining open-source Web3 projects is a plus
Education, Professional Training, Technical Training or Certification
• Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field
• Extensive knowledge of blockchain protocols, smart contract development, and decentralized application architectures
• Familiarity with decentralized finance (DeFi) protocols, token standards (ERC-20, ERC-721, etc.), and Web3 libraries (Web3.js, ethers.js, etc.)
• Solid understanding of cryptography, secure coding practices, and blockchain consensus algorithms
• Strong problem-solving skills and a proactive attitude toward learning and adopting new technologies
• Excellent communication and collaboration skills to work effectively within a team-oriented environment
• Familiarity with integrating blockchain technologies and NFTs into online gaming platforms to enhance player experiences and promote ownership of in-game assets is preferred
• Knowledge of gaming-related tokenomics, player incentives, and reward systems in the context of blockchain-based games and online communities is preferred
• Understanding of virtual economies, asset trading, and community-driven content creation within online gaming environments is preferred
• Familiarity with gaming-specific smart contract standards (e.g., ERC-1155) and protocols that enhance gaming experiences through interoperability and cross-platform interactions is preferred
• Demonstrated passion for gaming and the potential of blockchain technologies to revolutionize the gaming industry is preferred
Management has the right to add or change duties and job requirements at any time.
Nexon’s Benefits and Perks
We offer medical, dental and vision plans for you, your spouse or domestic partner and your children. Employees who enroll in the high deductible health plan receive an annual employer contribution to a health savings account and company paid hospital indemnity benefits. We also provide company paid life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability benefits as well as access to voluntary life and AD&D for yourself and your dependents, flexible spending accounts, a 401(k) savings plan with a company match, and pet insurance. Nexies are encouraged to take advantage of our monthly wellness credit, participate in lunchtime yoga, and enroll in language classes. We host bi-monthly catered lunches, monthly happy hours, and maintain a well-stocked snack bar. To help you maintain a good work life balance, we offer paid time off, sick days, company holidays, and a year-end break.
Nexon is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Compensation Description for Pay Transparency (annually)
The base salary range for this position in El Segundo, CA is $125,000 - $170,000 annually.
Our salary ranges are determined by market data based on position and level. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum salaries for that position. An individual’s pay is determined by factors including, but not limited to, a candidate’s qualifications, skills, experiences, relevant education or training, and location.
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards package that is provided to compensate and recognize employees for their work. This role may be eligible for additional discretionary bonuses/incentives, however the salary range listed in this job posting reflects the base salary only.